The Council on Aging offers a variety of programs. Advanced registration is requested so that we can contact you in the even of any changes or cancelations. Transportation is available, but requires two business days advance notice. For more information or to sign up for a program, call the COA office at 781-659-7878.
ART & CRAFTS
These are our current standing Arts & Crafts progams. Please check the newsletter or calendar for any special arts & crafts programs.
- Art Workshop - Tuessdays at 10:30 a.m to Noon with Ann McLeod. Students can bring their own materials and projects and Ann will assist each of you with your own piece.
- Knitting - Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. with Sarah Summers. ARe you new to knitting or just want to be part of a fun group? Bring a project and start a new one with Sarach and she'll guide you through the process. This is a drop in program. Fee is $5.
- Quilting - Fridays at 1:00 p.m. with mary Merritt. Do you want to learn how to quilt, or need help with a project? Mary is here to help you out!
We are excited to offer these regualr cultural programs. Please be sure to check our newsletter or calendar for informaiotn about other special cutlural programs and eents.
- Art Matters - A fun and interesting look at art history. This program is offred quarterly on Mondays at 11:00 a.m. Please check the calendar for dtails.
- Ukulele Class - Tuesdays at 9:45 p.m. with Juli Flin from the SOuth SHore Conservatory. This class is offerd as a series throughout the year. Adults of all ages and playing ability are welcome. Please se the newsletter or call the Council on Aging office at 781-659-7878 for details.
- Drumming - Offered the third Fiday of the month, unless otherwise noted on teh calendar. Join Ed Sorrention, Director of percussion at Shouth SHore Conservatory for this fun and lively group. No prior experienceneeded, just the desire to have fun. This program is open to all ages. Fee is $5
EXERCISE & WELLNESS
Looking gentle exercise classes? We have several to offer.
- Monday - Arthritis Exercise with Allison at 9:15 a.m., begins April 6, 2020. This class is free
- Tuesday - Chair Yoga with Ana at 8:45 a.m. Fee is $5
- Wednesday - Arthritis Exercise with Phyllis at 10:00 a.m. This class is free
- Wednesday - Tai Chi with Maria at 11:30 a.m. Fee is $6
- Thursday - Balance, Stretch & Strengh with Sue at 9:30 a.m. Fee is $5
- Friday - Exercise with Chris at 10:00 a.m. Fee is $5 This is a light aerobic and stretching class.
FUN & GAMES
if you like games, come join the fun. We welcome ideas for new games as well!
- Scrabble - Mondays at 1:30 p.m.
- Cribbage - Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m.
- Mah Jongg - Tuesdays at 12:30 p.m.
- Hand & Foot - Wednesdays at 12:30 p.m.
Learning is important at any age and we strive to offer a variety of learning opportunities. Join us for talks on local history, nature and so much more, offered by local experts and though the virtual Senior Learning Network. Please see our newsletter for details about upcoming programs and events.
SOCIAL MEALS AT THE CENTER
Funded by the South Shore Elder Services and sponsored by the Council on Aging, a hot meal is served on Mondays and Thursdays at12:30 P.M. at the Senior Center. The purpose of the program is to provide a nutritionally balanced meal, social interaction and companionship in a group setting. Participants are provided with an opportunity to contribute a $2 donation towards the cost of the meal. All contributions are used to defray the cost of the program. On occasion, these meals may be replaced by a special eent luncheon. The cost of special events luncheons may vary. Please check the calendar for details.
Do you have a laptop, tablet or smart phone and need help or want to learn something new. Through a partnership with Norwell High School and local volunteers, we offer several options.
- iPad Classes are offered throughout the year on a variety of special topics. Please see the newsletter for details.
- Devices Days are scheduled throughout the year and bring students to the senior center to provide one-on-one suppport to help answer your questions about your smart phone, tablet or laptop. Advance signup is required. Please check the calendar for dates and times.
- Technical Solutions Center is a student-run help desk that operates daily at Norwell High School during school hours from 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The students can offer training or assistance for most apps and devices and they are available on a drop-in or by- appointment basis. They can assist with email, messaging, photos, social media, travel, banking and many other apps. Most students are familiar with Apple devices such as iPhones, iPads and laptops, however they can also assist with other devices as well, including Android devices. The Technical Solutions Center is located across from the Main Office at the high school and they can be emailed at firstname.lastname@example.org.